:: The Cellphones ::June 20, 2007

Using Fring on the Nokia N95



Perhaps one of the most powerful mobile phone applications released today is Fring, an instant VoIP conduit that allows you to use the voice features of Skype, Google Talk, MSN and SIP on your mobile phone. A couple of days ago I posted some pictures of the unboxing process of the N95. Because of Fring, my N95 is now also a VoIP phone. I’ve tested the app over my WiFi network at home, and it really simulates the benefits driven by having unlimited telephone calls to anyone who is online using any of the above mentioned third party applications.
Installing the application to your mobile phone is quick and easy. All you need to do is go to the Fring homepage and key in your mobile number. An SMS will be sent to your phone which contains a link download for the app. I’d advise downloading over WiFi if you have a crappy data plan. You will then be asked to key in a new username and password which will link to the four supported services. Voice quality was loud and clear with some breaks when I would move around the house through doors. But I guess the experience will be different according to your ISP’s quality of service.

Labels: ,


<< Home